Coronavirus (COVID-19) is the illness caused by a new strain of the coronavirus virus type. It affects the respiratory system and the main symptoms can include a cough, high temperature and loss of smell or taste.
The main symptoms of coronavirus are:
- a high temperature – this means you feel hot to touch on your chest or back (you do not need to measure your temperature)
- a new, continuous cough – this means coughing a lot for more than an hour, or 3 or more coughing episodes in 24 hours (if you usually have a cough, it may be worse than usual)
- a loss or change to your sense of smell or taste – this means you’ve noticed you cannot smell or taste anything, or things smell or taste different to normal
Most people with coronavirus have at least 1 of these symptoms.
Is it a cold, flu or coronavirus?
What do I do if I think I have coronavirus?
If you, or anyone you live with, shows any of the following signs of Covid-19 DO NOT COME IN TO WORK – call and tell us that you suspect you have coronavirus and then:
- Get a test to check if you have coronavirus as soon as possible.
- Stay at home and do not have visitors until you get your test result – only leave your home to have a test.
Anyone you live with, and anyone in your support bubble, must also stay at home until you get your result.
Getting a test
You can get a test online on GOV.UK – https://self-referral.test-for-coronavirus.service.gov.uk/antigen/name. Call 119 to get a test if you have problems using the internet.
Please confirm that you have read the information and watched the videos on this page. If you have not understood anything, do not agree with some of the content, or you would like some more information tick ‘No’ and we’ll be in touch to address any concerns.